Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sticky rice how to

If I was in Thailand, I wouldn't have to bother searching or asking around anything about sticky rice. Coz! If I want one... some..., I just have to move my a-s-s downstairs from my apartment building and buy it from a street vendor which I might find one at every 10 -20 meters down the alley.
Grilled chicken drumstick + a bag of cooked sticky rice + sweet and sour dipping sauce = 20 Baht
!!! !!!
The fact is... I'm in Minneapolis. I feel lucky enough to be able to find this...

raw sticky rice ::::: Just be careful when you shop for the rice. Sometimes raw jasmine rice and sticky rice almost look the same. Raw sticky rice is kinda solid white and Raw jasmine rice is usually clearer or more transparent. If you're a first time sticky rice maker, it's best to ask to make sure. ;P
How can we turn this inedibly raw rice to a bowl of sweet, chewy, soft and warm rice? If you search, you will find various solutions. What I'm gonna tell you is what Mum gave me. I tried it and it worked!!!
Ok, if you wanna try what I've successfully accomplished, :) you are encouraged to jot down there're 2 processes, softening and cooking. And what you'll need to have are :
  1. raw sticky rice as shown above
  2. a bowl for softening - any shape or size
  3. a microwave-safe bowl for cooking - flatted bottomed about 8-9 inches wide
  4. a microwave! :)
Softening
The thing about sticky rice is that it is sticky, right? So we can't just cook it the same way we do with Jasmine or other long grain rice. Now that you have a bag of raw sticky rice, let's start.
  • In a bowl, clean 1 full cups of raw sticky rice*** by carefully pour in water, stir slowly with hand and carefully pour away the water.
  • Clean the rice 3-4 times or until the water in the bowl becomes clear and clean.
  • Then leave plenty of water in the bowl of washed rice (I'd say about 1.5 inches higher than rice level) and let it stay overnight in room temperature (not refrigerated)
Note : ***1 cups of raw sticky rice might only make a meal for 2 small people

Now, the next morning you'll see that the rice has swelled up a bit. That means the rice is ready to be cooked for lunch or dinner! (I wouldn't recommend having sticky rice for breakfast coz it's too filling it might make you sleepy and too lazy to go to work! Hahaha!!!)
Cooking
My cooking process only takes 5-6 minutes, I would make sure other food, dishes, table setting are done first and just 5 minutes before meal time, I just start cooking the rice. Here's what we do :
  • Wash the softened raw sticky rice 1-2 times in a 8-9 inch 'square' microwave-safe bowl
  • Leave in only 2 mm. water measuring from the surface of equally spreaded out rice
  • Microwave for 3 minutes.
  • Take the bowl out of the microwave. Take a good look at the rice. It should look like it's done -- clear and no solid white in the core of grain). If you still can see some solid white, microwave another 1 minute.
  • Take the bowl out of the microwave. Flip the rice all over with a spoon or fork.
  • Microwave for 1.5 minutes.
  • Take the bowl out of the microwave. Take a good look at the rice again. Make sure you don't see any solid white core. If you do see some, microwave another 1 minute and it then should be done!
Now you you can enjoy your dinner! Oh, don't forget to cover the cooked stick rice all the time. Otherwise, the rice can become a lil dryer and harder coz of sitting in the air. Sometimes I cover it with a clean damp cloth. Sticky rice always tastes much better when it's warm and soft!



Special recommendation

I would recommend eating sticky rice together with a couple of different Thai dishes like ... grilled chicken with sweet & sour sauce + papaya salad + sun dried beef (nua dad deaw) or grilled whole fish + minced pork spicy salad (larb) + variety fresh veggies... mmmh yum!






Google

Gourmet Grocery Online...bringing you the world in just one click!

No comments: